Bosso switch-off ZPC power to storm to the Chibuku Super Cup final

Prince Dube’s well executed first half striker was all Highlanders needed to beat ZPC Kariba in the semi-final of the Chibuku Super Cup match played at Barbourfields Stadium on Sunday set a mouth-watering final against Ngezi Platinum Stars in a date and venue yet to be announced.

To make their way to the final, Ngezi Platinum Stars beat last year’s finalists Harare City 7-6 on a penalty shootout after the match had ended 1-1 in regulation time.

Dube’s goal was his third of the tournament having scored the only goal in the team’s 1-0 first round victory against rivals Dynamos before finding the back of the net as Bosso stunned FC Platinum 3-0 in the quarter-final of the competition.

The 22-year-old forward who had a brilliant afternoon got his goal in the 35th minute after beating ZPC Kariba defenders from the right flank, before cutting inside and let a curling effort past goalkeeper Takubva Mawaya.

ZPC Kariba had started well, taking the game to Highlanders, winning most of the duels in the mid field, but they failed to create meaningful goalscoring opportunities.

Tinashe Makanda thought he had extended the Highlanders lead in the 41st minute when he controlled Denzel Khumalo’s pass and beat Mawaya, but the goal was disallowed as he was judged to have scored from an offside position.

Bosso went to the break enjoying a one-goal lead, and in the second half the technical bench led by Hendrikus Pieter de Jongh made some tactical changes, pulling Silla back to play a second double enchormen role with Nqobizitha Masuku.

The change worked significantly as it gave the back line more cover as ZPC Kariba failed to go beyond the Highlanders defence.

Makanda was again denied a goal in the 75th minute, this time by the crossbar as he worked his way past defenders and unleashed a powerful shot with his left foot, only to watch the ball crash against the crossbar.

ZPC Kariba’s hopes of forcing the match to a penalty shootout were dealt a heavy blow when Ian Nekati was given marching orders by referee Hardly Ndazi for elbowing Godfrey Makaruse.

After the match de Jongh who has established a strong bond with the Highlanders faithful could not hide his joy for taking Bosso to the final for the first time since the cup was relaunched in 2014.

“I am very happy. In the semi-final it is not important whether you play good or you play bad. What is important is to win and we won today,” said de Jongh.

He added that Prince Dube’s “perfect goal” exactly mirrored what the team was working on at training prior to the match.

Leave a Comment