On Saturday the 13th of March Highlanders Football Club President Ndumiso Gumede and Board Chairman Luke Mnkandla issued a joint statement updating members on pending 2021 Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Executive Members elections.
The club’s AGM and Executive Members elections will be held on the 21st and 28th of March.
According to the club’s constitution, club members should have convened for an AGM on the 31st of January before electing three Executive members a week later, but ‘due to Covid-19 pandemic rules and regulations, the negative responses received from the police and relevant sporting authorities and broad consultation on the matter’, the board resolved to postpone the events.
The three vacant posts are that of the Executive Chairman, which will see the incumbent Kenneth Mhlophe contesting with Johnfart Sibanda, the Secretary General and the Committee Member’s posts.
Incumbent Israel Moyo will be challenged by Victoria Falls-based Morgan Dube for the Secretary General post, while the battle for the Committee Member’s post will be between Bheka Sibanda and Mgcini Mafu.
Wisdom Mabhena the outgoing Committee Member will not be contesting as he has already served two terms.
Below is the full statement from the President and Board Chairman;
2021 AGM and Executive Committee Members elections update
Further to the Highlanders Football Club Board statement of 28 January 2021 which indicated the club’s predicament with regards to members Annual General Meeting and executive committee members elections which were supposed to be held on the 31st of January and 7th of February respectively, as highlighted in the previously advertised 2021 AGM notice, we would like to;
- Remind members and stakeholders that due to the Covid-19 pandemic rules and regulations, the negative responses received from the police and relevant sporting authorities and broad consultation on the matter, the force majeure circumstances in which the club found itself necessitated that we postpone both the AGM and elections until such a time that the relevant authorities sanction the activities.
- Remind members that out of necessity and practical considerations, a decision was made that the current Executive Committee was to continue until elections are held.
- Therefore, notify members and stakeholders that after the second clearance application, the club has been granted permission by relevant authorities to hold the Annual General Meeting and Executive Committee Members elections on the 21st and 28th of March 2021 respectively.
- State that both the AGM and elections will start at 1000hrs in the morning and end by 1200hrs midday.
- Assure members and stakeholders that both the AGM and elections will be held in adherence to strict Covid-19 protocols including;
- Hand Washing and sanitising.
- Social distancing of two meters apart.
- Discouraging members from handshakes and hugs.
- Making sure that all members wear their masks properly.
- Doing feet disinfection when entering the meeting place.
- That members will not be allowed to meet or interact physically during the time of the meeting and after.
- On the day of the elections members will only come in to cast their votes and thereafter leave the premises. They will only be allowed into the premises in batches of fifties with strict observation of social distancing.